Senate Meeting Minutes 02/10/23


Associated Students
Sonoma State University
AS Senate Meeting
1:00pm- Friday, February 10, 2023

Erin Fisher Room- Associated Students 2nd Floor Student Center


  1. Call to Order & reading of the Land acknowledgement- The meeting was called to order at: 1:02 pm
  2. Roll Call- Nataly Hernandez, Salvador Ochoa, Clayton Trent, Dirk Tolson, Vanessa Sanchez, Bryan Burton, Taneesha Porter, Melissa Nelson, Brittany Glor, Haley Azveado, Victoria Lopez, Salvador Garcia, Erik Dickson, India Garcia were present.
  3. Public Comment – pursuant to California Education Code 89306, the AS Senate provides this time for any member of the public to address the AS Senate on any item affecting higher education. Pursuant to California Education Code 89306(b), each speaker will be allowed no more than three (3) minutes to address the AS Senate.
  4. Liaison Report to the Senate (Discussion)
    • Academic Senate Designee- Designee Burton reported that: quick updates: working with Chief of Police for active shooter drills, any concerns such as locking the classroom, asking students to be involved, request a pickup if feeling uncomfortable or unsafe to walk along; Seawolf Bundle Plan, have all materials online or Canvas so it is accessible; any concerns, contact Mr. Burton. There is also conversation with the app, security and etc;
    • University President’s Designee - reported: university 95% retention goal of enrolling, 2019-2020 before Covid , 94%, and the current semester , 95%; be safe and smart; COVID surges; use the process when contacting COVID19, 39 CARE cases;
  5. Guests
    • Tiffany O’Neil, Senior Director of Alumni Engagement - Ms. O’Neil reported that: Giving Day in April to raise funds for their purpose and etc; Grad Packs, started around 4 years ago, changed the packaging for the students graduating; opportunity for new grads to join the Grad Association; new Grad Bag for the new graduates, along with the sentimental gift; Launched at the Grad Fair, approximately $50, along with the t shirt, license frame, light, commencement chords, charging chords, stickers and more additional stuff for the Pack; helps with the Alumni Association; $10 of each purchase comes back to the community and give back and help the dialogue for the new graduates; $10 gift for CAPS($5,000) decided last semester and was given back to the university and community; opening discussion on what could be the gift to go this semester; group for Spring, Summer and Fall; 500 participated last year, list around this semester is 3,000; hopefully the messaging goes out next week; the gift started right before COVID; Basic Needs and CAPS; they can also donate more; suggestions is lighting of campuses, improving safety, CAPS services, laundromats broken or not working properly, Pantry, The HUB, tutoring center, Scholarship Fund;
  6. Reports (Discussion)
    • AS President- President Hernandez reported: Personnel Committee next meeting on Tuesday; Hernandez is the President for the semester;​​​
    • Executive Vice President- no report;
    • Vice President of Finance- VP Trent reported: Master Revenue Book; looking at projectile headcount next year, potential, Fall Heads; calculating the new students and returning students; conversation of restructuring the university including classes, buildings, etc; nothing is off the table;
    • Senator of Diversity - Senator Sanchez reported: met with REACH of VIBES expansion, club reach out, BIology club reached out and want Board to talk on 12-1 Darwin Hall 103, February 28th; Pronoun Task Force, Feb 23rd, 12-1 on Zoom, registered on the HUB’s website, Town Hall in Stevenson Hall 1400, Feb 18th 6-7:30pm, mention of controversy of Chic Fil A being a vendor, Classroom Visits with Senator Tolson last week, postcards;
    • Senator of Student Resources- Senator Ochoa reported: met with ITECH, discussed about wifi moving from Group Hall 7 to Group 9, due to the contract ending, training within campus, 29 projects approved and 24 in progress; Refresh: 28 approved and 29 in progress, continue to accept more projects; schedule with an appointment with Dr. Jelena Desgriffin; sent out emails to chairs of departments and received feedbacks from directors and chairs, information spread out for elections and the forums;
    • Senator of Government Affairs- Senator Tolson reported: Classroom Visits last week, a couple more next week, about 4 next week and meeting with professors; if anyone is interested, let Senator Tolson know; talk with Mayor Rodriguez, about the council meetings, Town Hall, scheduling Zoom Meeting, planning a Town Hall on campus to get to know their mayor and county as well, for on and off campus students; Open Forum next week, three sessions 3-6pm;
    • JUMP Representative: Rep Lopez: Days of Service Event, on the website, collabing with ASP for World Kindness Day, Beach Pickup Trip, Study Buddies: for Monta Vista, 5-6 volunteers, amining to start in the beginning of March to see if all of the volunteers are committed; April 15th to host for Special Olympics, discussion with Basketball, Habitat for Humanity, focusing on marketing for the Branch and aim to table a few times so students can get to know JUMP more; also attending Greek Council meetings to spread the word;
    • Basic Needs Representative- Rep Avezado: prepping for Calfresh Week, 11-1 next week; signing up for the week, updating the website and improving since the county does not call, you have to call them; next week will Redwood Food Bank donation; Farm to Pantry; this week, 71 students for 3 days;
    • ASP Representative- ASP Representative reported: Spring 2023 events; Lobos Market,
      Dodgeball, Flower Power Hour, Current Events: API Heritage Month, Spill the Tea, 100 attendance, appreciative from Dr. Lee; Smash and Stress, World Kindness Day; Night at Theatre, Bowling Nite; 1 per semester, since 1 monthly event, on March 9, for the Elections; Tuesday Trivia started on V-Day; Open Mic Nite, Paint and Sip; In March, Boards and Brew;
    • Children's School Representative- Children’s School Representative Nelson: enrollment same for the semester; good start; some facility issues, water heater leak and lead to more bigger issues; HVAC having issues; 2 teachers leaving, and more staff coming in; next week, review of CA Board of education, regulating that everything is up to plan; Webinar;
    • Student Government Representative - Representative reported: Info Sessions, spreading the word of Elections;
    • Executive Director- elections buzz; recruitment, Decision Day for mandatory for All AS employees; declaration next week; programs and services are running; discussion of Budget, watching it; conversation of finances;
  7. Business
    • AS-BI 017.22.23 To declare the Executive Vice President position vacant and begin search to fill vacancy (ACTION)
      • Discussion- President Hernandez reporting: Since Hernandez is President, position for EVP is vacant and hoping to do the search for EVP; Senate is conducting; it would be for the whole semester, but for people interested in for the position, to spread the word; discussion of the candidate is public;
      • Action- VP of Finance Trent motion to declare the EVP ; Senator Sanchez seconded the motion; Motion passes unanimously;
  8. Items for the Good of the Order: Sticker on Calories Count, vending machine on ATM, Darwin, a lot of buildings; Lip Jam 2023 coming up; Open Forum next week on 2/14; BSU Block Party Today in Sauv Green from 3-5pm; Dickson meeting of conversation; Reminder that Senate decides for the Student Body;
  9. Adjournment- The meeting was adjourned at 2:48PM;

Posted in accordance with the Gloria Romero Open Meeting Law of 2000 by: Nataly Hernandez

The Associated Students of Sonoma State University acknowledges Indigenous Peoples as the traditional stewards of the land. Let it be acknowledged that the Associated Students and Sonoma State University is located within the traditional homelands of the indigenous peoples collectively known as Coast Miwok and Southern Pomo.