Sonoma State University
AS Senate Meeting
1:00 pm -Friday, January 27, 2023
Erin Fisher Room- Associated Students 2nd Floor Student Center
- Call to order & reading of the Land acknowledgement: The meeting was called to order at 1:03 pm
- Roll Call: India Garcia, Yasmin Esquivel, Nataly Hernandez, Salvador Ochoa Zalazva, Clayton Trent, Dirk Tolson, Mariah Atkins, Maia Madrigal Hernandez, Victoria Lopez , Vanessa Sanchez, Haley Azevedo, Madelyn Elena Williams, Salvador Garcia Vigil were present.
- Public Comment: – pursuant to California Education Code 89306, the AS Senate provides this time for any member of the public to address the AS Senate on any item affecting higher education. Pursuant to California Education Code 89306(b), each speaker will be allowed no more than three (3) minutes to address the AS Senate.
- Liaison Report to the Senate (Discussion)
- Academic Senate Designee- no report
- University President’s Designee - no report
- Reports (Discussion)
- AS President- no report from President Esquivel;
- Executive Vice President- Executive Vice President Hernandez reported: visit with Cozen O'Connor; There was also an anonymous survey for students to participate in with issues or concerns of Title IX.
- Vice President of Finance- Vice President of Finance Trent reported that he had a meeting with Monir Ahmed. Mr. Ahmed also wanted students to know what their finances are, voluntary exit for SSU Staff: 48 people to opt out of SSU, not leaving until this May; They also discussed about regrouping services to be accessible for students, maintenance with students for buildings; increase enrollment, higher enrollment than last year to help with budget; CPI Index, fees will increase by 5% by next semester;
- Senator of Diversity- no report
- Senator of Student Resources- Senator Ochoa reported: elections 2023, spreading the world of upcoming events, spreading information more about the elections for the student to run for office;
- Senator of Government Affairs- Senator Tolson reported to talking to professors and Class Senate about the elections; outreach hours via doing classroom visits;
- JUMP Representative- JUMP representative Lopez reported: training new hires, upcoming events: 2 days of Service, Food Drive, Study Buddies with Evergreen, Monta Vista Elementary School, working more to get more volunteers; interviews with potential volunteers at the moments; Special Olympics( sometime in April) and planning the events; 8 spots for Day of Service, 15 potential spots for students for Special Olympics;
- Basic Needs Representative- BNI Rep Azevedo reported about: Calfresh Outreach, training with Jason, preparing Calfresh Outreach Week is Feb 13-17; updating LPI’s; Lobo’s Pantry, 1 official volunteer and interviewing more; delivery from Farm to Pantry; total: 116 students;
- ASP Representative-ASP Representative Madrigal reported about: no events yet; Spill with Tea with President lee upcoming next Tuesday,any questions that you want Dr. Lee, ask the questions and fill out the form; ASP hired 2 new event Directors; 2 events per semester and required to plan events for the Semester of Fall 2023; no more monthly Bowling Nite as of now; 1 in March 9th(approximately), having candidates to go so people know who is running; More Current Events: Black JoyFest(BHM), Reggaeton Night, Women Empowerment Panel;
- Children's School Representative-Report was that there were 2 new teachers, as of January, 45 families, 16 staff, Melissa and Eric working and discussing of tuition increase;
- Student Government Representative - Student Government Representative Williams reported about: two AS Info Sessions, RSVP training, reaching out to Classroom Visits in different Departments, word of mouth, planning to talk to RA’s and clubs and tabling next week;
- Executive Director- no report from Executive Director Dickson;
- AS-BI 015.22.23 Discussion on Open forums as a group and Individual
- Discussion- President Esquivel discussed of having more open forums to have more discussions; Erik ,Mariah, and Salvador to delegate the conversation; Executive Vice President suggested to plan it in advance so that the students can know about it and possibly interested within that brave space; Individual forums can be monthly so the students from AS, can talk to student body, and a good opportunity to describe the experience;
- the conversation is a little limited with the Board, maximum representation is 2 members; the forum from last semester went well, discussed about mental health, lack of female representation, sanctuary of staff, issue of professors of effort, relocations of CAPS, DS Services, want a feedback survey to do for each department;
- For open forum, suggesting Student Government team to represent; another suggestion that President Esquivel was thinking of was a forum week so we hear the issues of the student body that needs to be addressed and start resolutions, since there is some deadlines as well; If wanting to do this idea, have the plans brainstormed by next week and enough time to market with Stephanie; marketing request for March is February 1st; Student Gov Reps working to plan with Election related stuff;
- AS-BI 016.22.23 To approve an Unallocated Reserve Request for $4095 for the "Half-Court Shot" at Pack the Den on Saturday, Jan. 28, 2023
- Discussion- President Esquivel discussed: to approve an unallocated reserve request for 4095 at Pack the Den on this Saturday, if someone makes the shot, the student’s tuition will be paid for; Concern is the first try with no warm up, the student will get the tuition, but the students get 3 chances to make the shot; It is for the Men’s Basketball game;
- Action-Executive Vice President Hernandez moved to approve discussion of the Unallocated Reserve request for $4095 at Pack the Den on Saturday January 28, 2023; Vice President of Finance Trent seconded the motion to approve discussion of the Unallocated Reserve Request for $4095 for the Half-Court Shot at the Pack the Den on January 28, 2023. Motion passes.
- AS-BI 015.22.23 Discussion on Open forums as a group and Individual
- Items for the Good of the Order- Pack the Den Tomorrow, Info Session Next Week from 12-1pm in EFR; Spill the Tea with President Lee on next Tuesday; President Esquivel announced she is resigning from the President position, as of 5:00 p.m. today. Executive Vice President Hernandez will be stepping into the President position moving forward.
- Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at: 1:50 pm
Posted in accordance with the Gloria Romero Open Meeting Law of 2000 by: Nataly Hernandez
The Associated Students of Sonoma State University acknowledges Indigenous Peoples as the traditional stewards of the land. Let it be acknowledged that the Associated Students and Sonoma State University
is located within the traditional homelands of the indigenous peoples collectively known as Coast Miwok and Southern Pomo.